I recently hosted a great conversation about the prospects for US-Japan-Europe security cooperation in the Indo-Pacific region with Dr. Zack Cooper (Senior Fellow, American Enterprise Institute and Co-Director of the Alliance for Securing Democracy at The German Marshall Fund of the United States) and Dr. Garima Mohan (Fellow, Asia Program, The German Marshall Fund of the United States). In recent years, the world’s attention has shifted toward the Indo-Pacific. As concerns over the rise of China and other regional challenges have intensified, the US and Japan have taken steps to strengthen their security cooperation and Europe has also become more engaged, begging the question of how the three sides might work together on security issues. What factors are driving Europe’s recent involvement in the Indo-Pacific? Does Europe have a role to play in the Biden Administration’s Indo-Pacific strategy, or would it be better for European countries to focus their efforts on security issues closer to home? Will a change of leadership in Japan affect its prospects for cooperation with the US and Europe? What are the most promising issue areas for trilateral cooperation and coordination, and what challenges lie ahead? In this episode, we discuss these questions and more. The topic of this podcast originated in conversations at GMF’s Japan Trilateral Forum.
- New Publication: Avoiding and Exploiting the Tragedy of the Commons: Fishing, Crime, and Conflict in the South China Sea
- New Publication: The Role of the United Nations in Japanese Foreign Policy and Security Architecture
- New Publication: From Trade Laggard to Trade Leader: Japan’s Role in Countering the Backlash Against Globalization
- New Publication: Governing the Global Commons: Challenges and Opportunities for US-Japan Cooperation
- Talk: Promoting Good Governance in the Global Commons: The US, Japan, and Beyond
- Podcast Interview: How is the Quad Progressing?
- Talk: Trust Building in Asia in an Era of Great Power Competition
- New Publication: Building a Quad-South Korea Partnership for Climate Action
- New Publication: Japan’s Defense Policy Faces a Critical Juncture
- New Publication: Economic Rivals, Security Allies: The US-Japan Trade War
- New Publication: The Future of the Quad and the Emerging Architecture in the Indo-Pacific
- New Publication: Expanding Engagement among South Korea and the Quad Countries in the Indo-Pacific