Dr. Kristi Govella (クリスティ・ゴヴェラ) is deputy director of the Asia Program and senior fellow at The German Marshall Fund of the United States (GMF). Kristi is an expert on the intersection between economic and security policy in Asia, as well as on Japanese politics and foreign policy. Her research has examined topics such as economic statecraft, trade war, trade agreements, foreign investment, government-business relations, defense capacity building, regional institutional architecture, and the governance of the global commons. Her writing is published or forthcoming in World Trade Review, International Relations, Asian Survey, Foreign Affairs, Monumenta Nipponica, East Asia Forum, Fletcher Security Review, Issues and Insights, Asia Dialogue, and The Washington Post. In addition, Kristi has edited two books: Linking Trade and Security: Evolving Institutions in Asia, Europe, and the United States and Responding to a Resurgent Russia: Russian Policy and Responses from the European Union and the United States. She regularly provides commentary for US and international media outlets. She also serves as an adjunct fellow with the East-West Center and Pacific Forum and as co-editor of the journal Asia Policy. Prior to joining GMF, Kristi was an assistant professor at the University of Hawaii at Manoa, a postdoctoral fellow at Harvard University, and an associate professor at the Daniel K. Inouye Asia-Pacific Center for Security Studies. She has also been a visiting research fellow at the University of Tokyo and Waseda University. Kristi holds a Ph.D. and an M.A in political science from the University of California, Berkeley and a B.A. in political science and Japanese, cum laude with College Honors, from the University of Washington, Seattle.
- New Publication: Building a Quad-South Korea Partnership for Climate Action
- New Publication: Japan’s Defense Policy Faces a Critical Juncture
- New Publication: The Future of the Quad and the Emerging Architecture in the Indo-Pacific
- New Publication: Expanding Engagement among South Korea and the Quad Countries in the Indo-Pacific
- New Publication: How to Mend the Rift Between Japan and South Korea
- Talk: What Does the Russo-Ukrainian War Mean for Indo-Pacific Security?
- Talk: Decoding Indo-Pacific Strategies of Canada, Japan, the USA, and Europe
- New Publication: US Supply Chain Strategy in the Indo-Pacific
- New Publication: Ukraine: A Turning Point for Japanese Foreign Policy?
- Talk: Enhancing Economic Security in Northeast Asia
Follow me on Twitter