Please direct media inquiries to kgovella at hawaii.edu.
Selected Quotes in the Media
- TIME, “Yoshihide Suga is Japan’s New Prime Minister. Here’s What That Means for the US,” by Amy Gunia, September 17, 2020.
- BBC News, “Yoshihide Suga: The Unexpected Rise of Japan’s New Prime Minister,” by Rupert Wingfield-Hayes, September 16, 2020.
- TIME, “Shinzo Abe’s Successor Will Inherit a Stricken Economy and Unfinished Business. What’s Next for Japan?” by Charlie Campbell, September 8, 2020.
- The New York Times, “Shinzo Abe, Japan’s Longest-Serving Prime Minister, Resigns Because of Illness,” by Motoko Rich, August 28, 2020.
- The New York Times, “As the World Gets Tougher on China, Japan Tries to Thread a Needle,” by Motoko Rich and Makiko Inoue, July 26, 2020.
- The New York Times, “Why Asia’s New Coronavirus Controls Should Worry the World,” by Motoko Rich, March 31, 2020.
- The New York Times, “White House Projects Grim Toll from Coronavirus,” March 31, 2020.
- The New York Times, “As Coronavirus Spreads, So Does Anti-Chinese Sentiment,” by Motoko Rich, January 30, 2020.
- The New York Times, “Deaths Surpass 200, and State Department Urges Against Travel to China,” January 30, 2020.
- The New York Times,”North Korean Missile Delivers a Message: There’s Little Japan Can Do,” by Motoko Rich, October 2, 2019.
- The New York Times, “Shinzo Abe Declares Victory in Japan Election but Without Mandate to Revise Constitution,” by Motoko Rich, July 21, 2019.
- The New York Times, “One Image of Japan’s Royals Tells a Story of Demographic Crisis,” by Motoko Rich, Hisako Ueno, and Makiko Inoue, May 1, 2019.
- The Japan Times, “More in Japan see U.S. as ‘major threat,’ while cyberattacks and climate change top concerns, survey shows,” by Jesse Johnson, February 12, 2019.
- Asia Society, “Japan’s Population Dilemma,” by Matt Schiavenza, January 31, 2019.
- South China Morning Post, “‘Last adult’ James Mattis leaves the room: what next for Asia?” by Meaghan Tobin, December 21, 2018.
- The Japan Times, “With GOP’s loss of House, should Japan anticipate a more hard-line Trump?” by Tomohiro Osaki and Sakura Murakami, November 7, 2018.
- The New York Times, “Shinzo Abe Says Japan Is China’s ‘Partner,’ and No Longer Its Aid Donor,” by Steven Lee Myers and Motoko Rich, October 26, 2018.
- The Diplomat, “3 More Years of Abe: Japan’s Foreign Policy Future,” by Daniel Hurst, September 22, 2018.
- The Times of London, “How Shinzo Abe became Japan’s Supreme Political Survivor,” by Daniel Hurst, September 21, 2018.
- The New York Times, “With a Submarine, Japan Sends a Message in the South China Sea,” by Motoko Rich and Makiko Inoue, September 18, 2018.
- NBC News, “Japan’s scandal-plagued Shinzo Abe eyes his place in history books,” by Daniel Hurst, August 19, 2018.
- Agencia EFE, “Trump descubre los límites de su apuesta diplomática con Corea del Norte,” by Lucia Leal, May 26, 2018.
- USA Today, “Trump backs North-South Korea Peace Talks in Summit with Japan’s Leader at Mar-a-Lago,” by David Jackson, April 17, 2018.
- The New York Times, “As Scandal-Tarred Abe Meets Trump, ‘the Situation is Getting Dangerous’,” by Motoko Rich, April 16, 2018.
- The New York Times, “Trump’s Unpredictability on Trade and North Korea Opens a Door for China,” by Motoko Rich, March 10, 2018.
- Financial Review, “Donald Trump’s Snap Decision to Meet With Kim Jong-un,” by Peter Baker and Choe Sang-Hun, March 10, 2018.
- The New York Times, “In Japan, a Liberal Maverick Is Seeking to Lead a Conservative Party,” by Motoko Rich, February 17, 2018.
- The New York Times, “Seeing US in Retreat Under Trump, Japan and China Move to Mend Ties,” by Motoko Rich and Jane Perlez, November 16, 2017.
- The Washington Post, “As Japan buddies up to Trump, South Korea frets it’s being disrespected,” by Anna Fifield and Adam Taylor, November 3, 2017.
Selected Interviews, Webinars, and Podcasts
National Bureau of Asian Research (podcast), “Promoting Good Governance in the Global Commons through the US-Japan Alliance,” August 6, 2020.
East-West Center (webinar), “Japanese Politics and Foreign Policy Amid COVID-19 and Beyond,” July 1, 2020.
Marketplace (radio), “Pompeo travels to boost US interests in South Asia,” July 31, 2018.
BBC World News (TV interview), Trump’s trip to Asia, November 11, 2017.
- The Washington Post, “Trump’s trip to Japan reveals some mixed signals,” (The Monkey Cage, May 29, 2019), by Kristi Govella.
- Asia Dialogue, “Japan’s Quest to Preserve the Trans-Pacific Partnership,” Asia Dialogue, (October 26, 2017), by Kristi Govella.
For more written analysis, see Publications.